We’ve compiled listings for some great active fun for the whole family. Most of these activities are things that you can do as a family. Whether it’s biking, bowling, fishing, or skateboarding, you can find something to keep you and your family on your toes.
Get ready to skip, jump, hop, skate, bike, walk, run, dance and more...
See the website for more dates.
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
July 7 - The Great Highway
July 28 - Mission
August 18- Tenderloin
September 8 - Western Addition
• Keeping Kids Active: Ideas for parents from the Mayo Clinic.
• 99 Tips for Family Fitness Fun
• Learn the rules of street-play games: Try Capture the Flag and Heads-up, Seven-up.
• Check out this rule sheet for street games like Kick the Can, Hopscotch and more.
• Bay Area Hiker: Find hiking with kids tips and locations.
• San Francisco Historical Walking Tours: walk the Barbary Coast or visit other parts of the city.
• Pier fishing in San Francisco
• California Department of Fish and Game: licensing information
Got a Bike? Take a Bike Ride!
Check out some great resouces for San Francisco biking:
• Biking for San Francisco Families: Routes and Resources
• Bike Smart, Ride Safe for Kids class at the Presidio YMCA is for kids of all abilities who want to learn skills to help them ride a bicycle more safely.
• Blazing Saddles Bike Rentals & Tours
• Sunday Streets-- bike in the streets! Streets are closed for fun in a different part of the City to explore every month. Young ones (and older ones) can take the class Freedom from Training Wheels.
• reMatch Sports offers used bikes, trailors and much more.
• San Francisco Bicycle Coalition offers tips, safety, rides and more. See the Bike Law 101 to make sure you know the rules of the road.
• Trips for Kids/Re-Cyclery takes kids on trips and helps them build bikes.
• The Bike Kitchen is a do-it-yourself bicycle resource. Learn how to do a tune up for youth and adults.
• SF Biking Families Yahoo! Group
• SF Bike Map showing bike paths, bike lanes, bike shops, public transportation, and grades of hills i from the SF Bicycle Advisory Committee or check 511.org for more info.
• Suggested open areas to learn to ride: Ocean Beach sidewalk, City College parking lot, Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Marina Green, Golden Gate Park (weekend closed street areas).
SFkids Related Pages
• Looking for sports classes, such as baseball, swimming, or soccer? See our Sports and Fitness page.
• Looking for more information about family fitness? Visit our Family Fitness page.
• Looking for more information on outdoor safety? Check out the Safety page.