We’ve compiled listings for some great active fun for the whole family. Most of these activities are things that you can do as a family. Whether it’s biking, bowling, fishing, or skateboarding, you can find something to keep you and your family on your toes.
• Keeping Kids Active: Ideas for parents from the Mayo Clinic.
• 99 Tips for Family Fitness Fun
• Learn the rules of street-play games: Try Capture the Flag and Heads-up, Seven-up.
• Check out this rule sheet for street games like Kick the Can, Hopscotch and more.
• Bay Area Hiker: Find hiking with kids tips and locations.
• San Francisco Historical Walking Tours: walk the Barbary Coast or visit other parts of the city.
• Pier fishing in San Francisco
• California Department of Fish and Game: licensing information
Got a Bike? Take a Bike Ride!
Check out some great resouces for San Francisco biking:
• Biking for San Francisco Families: Routes and Resources
• Bike Smart, Ride Safe for Kids class at the Presidio YMCA is for kids of all abilities who want to learn skills to help them ride a bicycle more safely.
• Blazing Saddles Bike Rentals & Tours
• Sunday Streets-- bike in the streets! Streets are closed for fun in a different part of the City to explore every month. Young ones (and older ones) can take the class Freedom from Training Wheels.
• San Francisco Bicycle Coalition offers tips, safety, rides and more. See the Bike Law 101 to make sure you know the rules of the road.
• Trips for Kids/Re-Cyclery takes kids on trips and helps them build bikes.
• The Bike Kitchen is a do-it-yourself bicycle resource. Learn how to do a tune up for youth and adults.
• SF Biking Families Yahoo! Group
• SF Bike Map showing bike paths, bike lanes, bike shops, public transportation, and grades of hills i from the SF Bicycle Advisory Committee or check 511.org for more info.
• Suggested open areas to learn to ride: Ocean Beach sidewalk, City College parking lot, Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Marina Green, Golden Gate Park (weekend closed street areas).
SFkids Related Pages
• Looking for sports classes, such as baseball, swimming, or soccer? See our Sports and Fitness page.
• Looking for more information about family fitness? Visit our Family Fitness page.
• Looking for more information on outdoor safety? Check out the Safety page.