Check these Health categories for free, low cost, and fee-based resources to help every family member stay emotionally and physically healthy.
Click on the bold titles or the left sidebar for details.
Check here if you have an immediate need of food, shelter, or someone to talk to.
• Environmental Health
Find information and resources about lead, asbestos, or other environmental health issues.
• Family Fitness
Look here for information and resources to help every member of the family get and stay fit.
• Health Insurance
The many ways to obtain health insurance for your family are outlined here.
• Maternal Health
Get information and resources for pregnant mothers, prenatal care, and breastfeeding support here.
• Medical, Vision, Hearing, and Dental
Go here to find a doctors, dentists, and other basic medical information.
• Mental Health Services
Look here for local resources for mental health services and support organizations.
Find great tips here for eating well.
• Babies, Children, and Adolescents Immunizations site has tips on preventing disease from the SF Department of Public Health.
• The American Academy of Pediatrics site provides resources, information, and recommendations.
• WebMD presents general medical information that can be useful in initial research about any condition.
• Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation provides links to associations and groups for a variety of mental disorders.
• National Alliance for the Mentally Ill is a nationwide association with widespread resources and an information and referral service. Staffed by experienced and trained volunteers, this site provides resources in Spanish and English.
• Parents Helping Parents addresses a wide spectrum of serious parental issues.
• Cool Nurse is an online resource for teens and beyond. Find everything from help with substance abuse to fitness and nutrition, sexual health to general health issues.
• Connecting Kids to Healthcare Through Schools offers resources for healthy kids and healthy schools.
• Revolution Health's Family & Parenting Page provides information and resources to help you keep your family healthy.
San Francisco Resources
• Planned Parenthood: (415) 441-7858, 815 Eddy Street 2nd Floor at Van Ness Street
Confidential HIV testing and counseling, STD testing and treatment, general family planning services, medical and surgical abortions, birth control and emergency contraception.
• WOMAN, Inc.: (Women Organized to Make Abuse Nonexistent) (415) 864-4722, 333 Valencia Street, Suite 450 at 14th Street Resources and information for domestic violence, individual counseling services, support groups for issues involving domestic violence.
• North East Medical Services: NEMS is a comprehensive, outpatient community health center located in San Francisco serving the residents of the Bay Area for over 30 years. NEMS provides medical, dental, optometry, labs, x-ray, pharmacy, health education, and nutrition services to a large Asian population. NEMS serves many medically indigent and uninsured monolingual patients including Chinese dialects and Asian languages, including Cantonese, Mandarin, and Vietnamese.
• Healthy Children Organizing Project: Formerly known as the Lead Poisoning Prevention Project, a Project of Consumer Action. The Project works with numerous child and health care organizations as well as other community-based groups, advocating screening and testing of children, reduction of lead contamination in homes and the environment.